1st of 5 Articles
Deploying Basic Process Improvement (BPI) organization-wide covers the essentials for implementing such a program.
E^3 Leads To E^2
E3 = Engage, Equip and Empower
E2 = Effectively and Efficiently
E3 –> E2
Deploying Basic Process Improvement Objectives
Deploying Basic Process Improvement contains the ingredients to be the “go-to” problem-solving approach used throughout an organization, by all its employees. This is realized whilst:
- Maintaining low disruption to normal business | work during implementation
- Works alongside other improvement efforts
- Introducing no additional „waste“, for example in the form of bureaucracy
- Introducing no additional training organisation
- Basic Process Improvement becomes self-sustaining with ownership taken by all employees
- Simplicity is maintained, which includes the use of BPI and sharing of its successes
- Keeping BPI work as visual and as accessible as possible
- Using BPI is natural working teams that are at the „Gemba“
- Applying BPI on daily operational problems. BPI will facilitate faster and sustained resolution of problems before they become large headaches.
There is no short cut to deploying Basic Process Improvement correctly.
BPI Improvement is not an ad hoc training program.BPI does not follow a traditional deployment structure.
BPI does require an existing improvement structure to get going.
BPI requires a carefully thought-through deployment and escalation model.
BPI Improvement requires macro and micromanagement commitment.
Deploying Basic Process Improvement KSF – Knowledge Sharing
To ensure adequate knowledge sharing, the following need to be in place:
- Training plan
- Training material
- Calibrated trainers
- Communication material & plan
Deploying Basic Process Improvement KSF – Tracking & Reporting
Keep it Simple”
The „A3″ forms the basis for project work and tracking. Teams should have their „A3s” and performance charts on display and use it to review performance improvement activities with their managers.
Completed „A3″ should be scanned and logged in a repository.
Deploying Basic Process Improvement KSF – Roles & Structure
Key roles when deploying Basic Process Improvement include:
- Initiating Sponsor (by site | country )
- Reinforcing Sponsor (by department | Function | team)
- Team Leader
- Yellow Belt (identifies and leads the resolution of a problem identified)
- Process | work team
Deploying Basic Process Improvement KSF – Reward & Recognition
Successful problem resolution and process improvement should be visibly showcased on local notice boards. These should include A3s and team photos.
A recognition ceremony may be arranged, „Lunch with the Initiating Sponsor“ may be considered.
In the next article we will touch on Planned Deployment, Natural Work Teams, Making it Visible, and Ensuring Execution Success.
Click the related articles below to learn the steps of Basic Process Improvement:
Deploying Basic Project Improvement
Structured Implementation of Basic Project Management
Basic Process Improvement Teams
Process Improvement Governance